• Sophie
    Hi there, not sure if you can help advise me at all but I am currently on maternity leave (since end of Nov 2017). My employer has just announced their annual pay increase across the company. I was informed of this by my colleague who is in the same role as myself. He informed me of his increase which was £1000. I haven't received any correspondence from my employer informing me of a pay increase but after having to try and access my HR account from home I can see my pay has increased but only by £500.
    The pay increase is manager's discretion and they supposedly decide what we get based on different factors- none of which are transparent so they are able to fob off easily! Would I have a case for discrimination? I had a payrise in October 2017 after addressing my low pay (compared to male coworkers) to my boss and after completing the numerous objectives set out for me achieved a payrise. However I feel that as my coworkers have not had to do this for our annual payrise, the fact I had an increase in November is irrelevant and the objectives I had to complete which no one else has had to are completely undermined! I hope this makes sense as I have just found out and am livid and angry typing! The stats from their gender paygap were released recently and it is massively in favour of males and I feel this has reflected it even more. Is there anything I can do @Danielle from Gorvins Solicitors ?
    Many thanks.
  • Danielle from Gorvins Solicitors
    Hi Sophie - Given that there can be different reasons why the pay rise is given, I think at this stage what I would do is raise further informal enquiry, confirming that you know that your colleague's pay rise was more than yours and questioning why there is such a difference when you both do the same job etc. I would say that at this stage, you hope there will be an explanation or a way to resolve it without you having to take any further steps, but that you reserve your position to do so at a later stage if the explanation is not forthcoming or acceptable.

Hope that helps, but let me know if you need anything further. Danielle
  • Sophie
    Much appreciated, Danielle. Writing an email now. Many thanks.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Work It Out!

The place for working parents and parents to be to get support and find solutions to the many challenges we encounter. Ran by Mother Pukka and Pregnant Then Screwed